A New York Times Bestseller
This country, now more than ever, needs passionate debate and smart policy, a brazen willingness to scrap what doesn’t work, and the entrepreneurial spirit to try what does. Ratigan has compiled brash and fresh solutions for building a new and better America, and with this book he has started the debate America deserves.
With you, he wants to take back the country from the six vampires sucking this nation dry:
• A political system in which lobbyists write legislation, lawmakers place “secret holds” to create more pork for their districts, and money drives the whole process.
• A banking system that uses capital for speculation and debt creation, rather than productive investment.
• A “master-slave” relationship with our Chinese bankers, making our corporations and politicians complicit in a system that rigs our currency and leaves us with permanent joblessness and massive trade deficits.
• A health care system that is among the priciest and least sustainable in the industrialized world.
• An educational system that prizes prestige but produces mediocrity.
• An addiction to foreign oil that has sapped us of our willingness to innovate, made us reliant on inefficient technologies, and left us supportive of corrupt governments.
To combat these vampires and to isolate the systematic ways in which our once productive industries and our government have been breached, Ratigan does not offer a grab bag of flimsy suggestions or useless hot air. Instead he provides readers with a set of values that together form the answer for how each of us can not only understand what has gone wrong—but join together to make it right.
(P)2012 Simon & Schuster, Inc. All right reserved.
“Readers will find a great deal to ponder, as Ratigan covers why and how he’s certain the USA is ‘going seriously wrong.’”
“Ratigan delivers an energetic, powerful, and at times unsettling portrait of America in crisis…And even though his portrait of the US is bleak, he believes we have options.”
“Some books explain a problem; this book gives you an entire worldview. Greedy Bastards puts everything in context and makes the enormity and entirety of our crises understandable. Dylan, as always, is incisive, sharp and pointed.”
“Greedy Bastards is superb. Dylan’s policy recommendations track with what the Committee for Economic Development has been saying on health care, the federal deficit, corporate governance, education, a consumption tax, and campaign finance reform. His explanations are clear…Greedy Bastards deserves wide readership!”
Charles Kolb, President of the Committee on Economic Development
Dylan Ratigan is the host of MSNBC’s The Dylan Ratigan Show and former host of Fast Money. Former global managing editor for corporate finance at Bloomberg News, he has developed and launched more than half a dozen broadcasts and media properties. His book, Greedy Bastards, details his frustrations about the financial crisis and his innovations for its relief.
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
- ISBN-13: 9781442344501