We all love the convenience of a short, precise text message, but it comes at a cost. More and more people are ill equipped to pick up a phone or arrange an in-person meeting, and often even the idea of speaking causes actual anxiety. In Speaking with Power and Persuasion, licensed speech and language pathologist Rebecca Shafir gives you the tools to engage in meaningful communication with easy to learn steps.
Whether you are a self-promoter, salesperson, educator, political candidate, business leader, or student learning English as a second language, Speaking with Power and Persuasion, explains
- how the body and voice work together to produce a strong vocal image;
- tips for taking the stress out of speaking situations;
- erasing bad habits that make you hard to listen to, like nasality, hoarseness, or a monotone;
- ways to communicate certainty, approachability, and animation when you speak;
- speech and vocal techniques that help you sound smart, credible, and trustworthy;
- actors’ tricks so you’re heard clearly at the back of the room;• yoga for the voice—measures to keep your voice in tiptop shape;
- how to practice the techniques that dramatically improve receptiveness to your ideas;
- ways for a person with learning differences or disabilities to communicate more effectively;
- how families with a learning disabled child can communicate to manage stress and help their child succeed;
- what the ESL speaker can do to reduce a strong accent and connect better with native English speakers;
- ways for a native speaker to help a nonnative speaker improve their English pronunciation.
Unlike most advice on improving your speaking that you might receive from a sales trainer or debate coach, Speaking with Power and Persuasion comes from a professional with a solid scientific understanding of the workings of the voice. The techniques Rebecca Shafir teaches are precise, practical, and sustainable. You learn what to do, how often to practice, and exactly why the exercises improve the impression you make on others.
© 2013 by Rebecca Shafir
Rebecca Shafir is a speech and language pathologist, communication consultant, and brain fitness expert who has been helping people communicate and think more clearly and powerfully at home, at work, and in public for more than twenty-five years.
- Publisher: Blackstone Audio
- Genre: Nonfiction
- ISBN-13: 978-1-4829-2715-3